Saturday, June 4, 2011

Promises Promises


So,

Penelope Trunk wrote this uninspired self-aggrandizing schlock the other day.
Seriously, it is only my desire to keep this at least somewhat legitimate and pleasant that I don't say more than simply, "That girl has cooties." Seriously. She has a cootie infestation.*

"Let's write about how being rich gives my dumbass kids opportunities you don't get and call it an uplifting and useful post.

OK, Penny, dear, let's do that

1. Get accustomed to trying new things:
To fins work you love, you have to try new things. I'm sure that works for some skinny white cootie-head from New York, but for the rest of us, we are a little stuck. You think that farmer bailing hay decided one day to just up and leave his big job in the city and become put on a straw hat?
That does happen, certainly, but for most people the choice isn't that easy. Most people settle. And that is OK.
Most of us have jobs, and lack the ability to just up and try new things. Time and Money -especially money, are short.
In addition, anything is fun for a day, or for 3 days. Do it for a year. Then tell me that you like it. And if you didn't, then you just wasted a year. And if you did, you might be good enough to do it professionally.
I'm not advocating not trying. I'm just saying, be realistic. Your mom isn't taking you out for a weekend trip to farmer Bob.

2. Don't think you are above prestige.
What does this have to do with anything. I know a guy, he's a bartender. Prestigious? No. But he loves it. He's good at it. Who the heck cares if he's famous for it?
In addition, I always thought writer meant "unemployed" and blogger meant "unemployed with an internet connection." I've met dozens of "writers" shucking coffee and pumping gas.
Find out what you like. Do it when you can. Who cares about prestige. If you like pumping gas, pump gas, talk about pumping gas. Pump gas so the angels weep. Pump gas so well that the hosts of heaven and earth will pause and say 'Here lived a great gas pumper who did his job well.'

The same goes for knitting or woodblock printing

In my case, I like Art, Drinking, Martial and Venusian Arts, and posting to my blog. I hate my day job. So what do I talk about, do you think?

Getting caught up in what other people think is madness. It devalues you.

Also, when I was a kid the answer wasn't smaller bales. It was "get stronger."

3. Seek to understand your impact.
This is apparently where she slid in a "boy am I special and so is my son" bit. I'll ignore her self-aggrandizing. I'll do so because I will probably self-aggrandize, too. It's fun to talk yourself up. Almost as fun as tearing others down. Which you shouldn't do.
Let me be clear, though. Your impact is much smaller than you think. You don't matter nearly as much as you think. And so what? I helped a guy decide what weight vest to wear once. That's fine. I don't need to change the world. I don't necessarily want to. Thinking that everything you do belongs in this grand beautiful narrative is to put it colloquially, lamesauce.
I don't know. Maybe I grew up in a different time. Maybe my upbringing had more to do with 1940s Americana than Post-9/11. But to me, it doesn't matter if it's important if 1) I like it, and 2) it needs to be done.
If you do your job well, you will make an impact. So worry about doing well, not impressing others.
I know, the argument against her last point sucks. It may be the best cliche of the bunch she throws at you. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Do you want to do what you love? Well, if you are older than 16 and don't know, then I suggest you look at your hobbies. If you still struggle, listen to what you talk about. What sort of conversations get you animated? If you still have trouble, ask your friends what gets you animated.

And, god help you. If you still don't know, go to the library and get a book on something - anything, and keep doing it until you get excited.

And - this is the most important part - do it well.

I'll say that again. Do it well.

Forget impact, forget prestige, forget everything. Just do what you like well and as often as you can. And then tell everyone you can.

I don't believe in Talent. I believe what we call talent is enthusiasm plus effort over obstacles plus cost..

I'll give you an example: I will never be a Ballet dancer. I wanted to be one when I was younger. I loved the movement. But with legs that dwarf small trees and a fat ass, there were many obstacles to my career in Russia. Could I have become a dancer? Sure, I became a passable ballroom dancer in my youth. But I was never enthused enough to truly put effort into it. So it never panned out.

My friend Calvin is an Auto mechanic. He's very talented. I swear that he once laid his hands on my car and brought it back to life. He is a car Jesus. Was he born with any special talent? Not really. he just liked cars so much that no obstacle or cost bothered him. He now commands a very high salary, and can work basically anywhere.

And Calvin isn't the only one. I have many friends who found things that enthused them so much they became good. And then I've met people who followed who never quite did as well.

On to business:
Well, no one posted a comment last time, so the $5 will go into a jar. So now it's 10 bucks to the first comment if I don't stay on my diet.

Today was busy. I picked up supplies for woodblock printing and went food shopping. I didn't stay on my diet, however.

That's surprise one. I've decided to go back into Art. Looks like my Masters may be a Fine Arts degree. Well, I may still be unemployable, but at least I'll enjoy it!

Second surprise: I am moving to a different site. Not sure if It's a complete move or if I'll just post here and there in Simulblog!**. I'm new to blogging, so the whole scene is confusing.

Cheers

* I suppose egotistical snot is closer to the truth whilst still maintaining a soft PG rating
**That's copyrighted, by me. Use it and I'll SUE!

2 comments:

  1. Jay, Absolutely brilliant my friend! You had me laughing out loud and nodding my head up and down all through this post. This is the truth. What Penelope is selling us is like the Hollywood version of the truth. Try 100 jobs? I loved your comments. They are especially pertinent now when so many people are struggling just to get by. In fact the idea of "meaningful work, responsibility, and knowledge of the outcome". That seems like a thing of the past. Half of Americans are just struggling to pay medical bills and keep food on the table.

    "Do it well" this is the key to finding satisfying work! Better than quiting every job you hate (and trust me I have worked a lot of them) to find what satisfy's you. When you do it well no matter what it is, it will always be on the path that you have chosen, and doors are bound to open!

    No matter what second rate blog you go to just promise me that whatever you do you will not stop posting your thoughts here..

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Christ in a cornfield. This is amazing. I read the cootie-infested post you are referring to and I completely agree with you. I would love to make a great impact on the world, but it takes a shit ton of people to be willing to do the same for it to make any real impact. Also, I am too busy trying to find a job and pay my medical bills in this shitty economy while still being able to afford food. These "go get 'em!" types typically have the funds to do so, and good for them. But for them to expect the rest of us to do the same without the green, that's just insane. I don't have a huge bank account balance, I don't have a trust fund, nor do I have parents/relatives that are rich and paying my way. What I do have is what most Americans have - jack shit. And we do what we can with what we have. And if we don't die, good for us! We take our happiness where we can find it. I find mine giving what little money I have to the homeless, eating at Noodles & Co. when I can afford to, and laughing at the ridiculous amount of Madisonian political bumper stickers- but to each their own. You make great points here, and all valid. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete