Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day!

Hello, dear reader(s?), I hope this day off is being well-used. I'd go on about the meaning, but you have Wikipedia and the internet, so I'll pass on repeating these cliches.

I am currently listening to "How to Live on 24 Hours a Day" by Arnold Bennett. Quite eloquent, he was criticized for his writing style by his peers

Anyway, I think back on when I lost quite a bit of weight, all eighty-five pounds of it, I ate very few carbohydrates at all. I ate only chicken, about a pound and a half a day, a spinach salad with dressing picked for it's low sugar content, and cucumbers and tomatoes with a bit of salt and cracked pepper.

Now I am trying a slow-carb diet. It is more difficult, but I am not certain why. I lose weight, of course, about 2-3 pounds a week. But I reflect that I am quite cranky after a few days of it, and I do not remember being so when I changed my diet previously.

The differences:
1) Lentils (The slow carbs). Unlike my previous diet, I am eating about triple the carbohydrates. Most of them are not the white, starchy carbs that cause the greatest weight gain. But they also contain sugars.
2) Cheat day. It shoots my insulin into the stratosphere, and makes the next day hell.
One, I think, needs a cheat day to ensure their metabolism. But perhaps I can cut it down to one cheat meal? 4HB suggests that it can.
3) Slow Carb is about $20 cheaper a week.

Unfortunately, I didn't track anything on my low-carb diet. I didn't pay attention to cravings while I was on it, nor when I broke off of it. It is about as difficult to keep up, and a little more expensive than the slow-carb diet. The slow-carb diet, except for cheat day, did not cause the ups and downs of insulin craving that come from a more regular diet. But then, neither did the low-carb diet.

I envy Tim Ferriss's money. I would love to go to a doctor and get some baseline numbers. I'll research options there.

Anyway:
Breakfast: 6 oz of chicken that had been cooked in olive oil
Snack: Salted roma tomato
Cold Bath Protocol

I'll keep you posted: I am going on a bike ride!

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment