Saturday, May 21, 2011

Weight Loss for the poor and lazy.

OK: I said this blog would be about doing two things on said shoe-string budget: getting the equivalent of a Graduate Degree and losing 50 pounds. I've dicussed the "learnin'" but not weight loss.

I am extremely lazy. I like short cuts. Thank god for Tim Ferriss.

I follow, somewhat religiously, the tenets of Tim Ferriss's 4-Hour-Body. In it, he talks about reducing core body tempurature to help burn calories.

So my day starts with an ice-cold bath to induce shivering.

Basically I fill up the bathtub with cold water and lay there for 20 minutes. Is it as cold as the Ice Baths Tim used? No. But I find it is effective and, more important, relaxing. I can daydream about what I plan to do with the day or meditate. It is extremely soothing. Plus it helps keep my depression in check and energize me.

Then I lie down with a fan blowing on me while I air dry. The evaporatign water increases the cooling effect.

And studies of Thermogenics seem to suggest that it helps burn fat and tone muscle.
And it's safer than many of the supplements.
I also take B12 to boost my metabolism. It's about 12 dollars for 4 months. Or about $.75 a week.

I also take Juice Plus, mostly because my diet lacks a lot of micronutrients found in foods.

Has it worked? Well, my measurements are crude, but I have noticed that my arms and legs have greater tone without any exercise. I have also noticed that on my cheat day, I tend to gain elss weight - 2 lbs instead of 6. It could be placebo, but it's enough to keep it going.


No comments:

Post a Comment