Friday, May 20, 2011

Thoughts on Metrics - Undergraduate

So here's the first thing I'll admit, albeit sheepishly. I never graduated Undergraduate College. In addition to having to work, personal problems had a lot to do with it. So I figure we'll have to start there

I am 61 Credits from an Undergraduate degree. I am 15 credits from an English Major and 18 from a philosophy major. Given what i want to study in Grad-school, i am thinking about doinfg Art History/Philosophy/History. I'd do something in the hard sciences, but it is more difficult to pursue sciences without labs and teachers.

I have not passed a foreign language requirement. Aside from that I have all my Core requirements.

This means I need 24 Credits of History, 18 Credits of Philosophy, and 24 of Art/Art History.

A 3 credit hour class, according to my Prof friends, requires a textbook and about 1 300 page book for the entire class, takes up approximately 38 hours of lecture and 38-50 hours of at homework/study time per class. It also requires a long final, some quizzes, and 2 pepars of 5-6 pages in length.

I can't really test myself unless I get copies of tests from teachers. I can write papers, but how will they be graded?

I am going to start with the accelerated model. We are going to take one class at a time for 2-4 weeks. this means I will take 4 "classes" per semester. In addition to the single class, I will be studying a language, reading from St John's College great Books series, and reading from my free reading list. Overall, I expect this to take up 25-30 hours a week.

Next week I research colleges and grab syllabi from teachers, find class lectures posted free online, and research the degree path.

Oh, my focus of Grad School will likely be religious Iconography in Orthodox Russia or In Reconquista Spain. *Shrugs* O rmaybe something else entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment